• Praying With St. Ignatius

    Praying With St. Ignatius Offered: August 3, 10, 17, 24, and 31 at 8:00pm. Please join Fr. John Kennedy, SJ for a one-hour workshop following the 7:30pm Holy Mass in […]

    Continue reading
  • Shrine Bulletin Archives

    Below is a list of past issues of the weekly Shrine Bulletin. The Shrine Bulletin is printed and posted in the Shrine Church and Visitor Centre each Sunday which includes […]

    Continue reading
  • National Shrine Reopens Doors in 2022

    MIDLAND, ON (1 April 2022) – After nearly two years of closure due to the COVID-19 pandemic, Martyrs’ Shrine will be reopening to the public on May 7, 2022. The […]

    Continue reading
  • Praying for Residential Schools

    On April 1, 2022 at the Vatican, in an address to representatives of Indigenous Peoples in Canada, His Holiness Pope Francis apologized to the Indigenous Peoples. After listening to the […]

    Continue reading
  • Martyrs’ Shrine Throughout the Years

    Martyrs’ Shrine had evolved throughout the years and had created various branches in which to serve the community. It remains a priority commitment of the Canadian Jesuit ministry. It has […]

    Continue reading
  • Opening of Sainte-Marie among the Hurons

    In 1964 the Jesuits negotiated an agreement between the Upper Canadian Province of Jesuits and the Government of Ontario whereby the historic site of Sainte-Marie and adjoining land on the […]

    Continue reading
  • Purchase of the Sainte-Marie Mission

    At the end of the Depression, it took three years of appeals for director, Fr. Lally to collect the $4,000 purchase price of the Sainte-Marie property from a local businessman. […]

    Continue reading
  • Canonization of the Canadian Martyrs

    Nearly four years to the day later, on June 29, 1930, as Pope Pius XI was canonizing the eight Canadian Martyrs in St. Peter’s Basilica in Rome, another vast congregation […]

    Continue reading
  • Completion of the Shrine Church

    On June 26, 1926 in advance of Fr. Filion’s deadline, the church was finally built. It was a long fall and winter season for Fr. Filion and the tradesmen battling […]

    Continue reading
  • Construction of the Church of St. Joseph

    In June of 1925, Father John M. Filion, then Provincial Superior of English speaking Jesuits across Canada, felt the need for a larger shrine that would be closer both to […]

    Continue reading

©2018 Martyrs' Shrine.

trip-advisorheart-of-georgian-bay