Martyrs' Shrine is a subsidiary of the Jesuits in English Canada. The Society of Jesus (Jesuits) is a religious order withing the Roman Catholic Church. Martyrs' Shrine is a registered charity #107673733 RR0001. Eligible donations to Martyrs' Shrine receive a donation receipt for income tax purposes. For more information visit the Canada Revenue Agency website: www.cra-arc.gc.ca/charitiesandgiving.
Martyrs’ Shrine offers a holy and historic space of education, spiritual conversation, and Sacrament, sharing with people, of every faith and culture, the divine mystery of self-sacrificing love, witnessed in the lives of St. Jean de Brébeuf and his companions, and fulfilled in Jesus Christ.
That all people have joined St. Jean de Brébeuf and his companions in building a community of love with Jesus Christ.
- Loving Service: We Lovingly offer ourselves in service to others; especially the sick, the poor, and the marginalised.
- Sacramental Life: We profess the presence of Jesus Christ in the Sacraments of the Roman Catholic Church and share in His healing mission therein.
- Stewardship: We recognise all human resource, and all of Creation, as grace-filled gift from God, both caring for it and promoting it accordingly.
- Hospitality: We welcome all as the person of Christ in our midst.
- Education: We offer, to youth and adults, faith formation rooted in Roman Catholic teaching and articulated through the spiritual tradition of the Society of Jesus as expressed by the witness of St. Jean de Brébeuf and his companions
Board of Trustees
Martyrs' Shrine is governed by a Board of Trustees composed of both religious clergy, and members of the general public. Each member is appointed by the Board of Trustees based on their qualifications. Each member brings their unique set of talents, experience, and expertise to help guide Martyrs' Shrine in Planning, Policy, and Governance.
Brian Beal, Chair
Rev. Silvio Eljuga, Trustee
Allan Smith, Trustee
Betty Valentine, Trustee
Andy Ott, Vice-Chair
Suzanne Beatty, Trustee
Rev. Vernon Boyd, SJ, Trustee
Sherry Chapman, Trustee
Rev. John O'Brian, SJ, Trustee
Rev. Michael Knox, SJ, DPhil (Oxon), Director
Rosella Kinoshameg, Trustee
Sue St. Amant, Trustee
Angela Kruger, Chief of Staff & Recording Secretary
- Solar panel system, a 10-kilowatt solar panel system installed on the roof of the first Rectory
- Upgraded lighting, which involved replacing more than 400 inefficient incandescent and halogen lights, including the large outdoor floodlights, with high-efficiency LED lighting – this project alone has achieved an energy savings of around 30 percent
- Converted the electric furnace in the Filion Centre into a gas heating system
- Replaced electric cooling equipment with two new energy-efficient air conditioning units
- Integrated two electric golf carts in place of additional gas carts
- Increased the accessibility of recycling bins throughout the grounds
- Planted 12 new spruce trees in the lower fields, restoring damage caused by the 2010 tornado which destroyed over 50 of our trees
- Forest Management Project, supporting the health of the forest surrounding our manicured grounds
These changes ensure that our operations are more environmentally sustainable and better support the mission and values of the Martyrs’ Shrine. We are thankful to the Knights of Columbus, Hardship Acres, and other benefactors of the Martyrs’ Shrine for their donations in support of these greening projects.
Know that our greening initiatives are still on-going. We look forward to tackling the following greening projects in the near future:
- Energy-efficient heating
- Window and insulation upgrades
- Additional recycling bins throughout the grounds