Martyrs' Shrine is a subsidiary of the Jesuits in English Canada. The Society of Jesus (Jesuits) is a religious order withing the Roman Catholic Church. Martyrs' Shrine is a registered charity #107673733 RR0001. Eligible donations to Martyrs' Shrine receive a donation receipt for income tax purposes. For more information visit the Canada Revenue Agency website: www.cra-arc.gc.ca/charitiesandgiving.
Martyrs' Shrine is governed by a Board of Trustees who develop and adopt our 5-year Strategic Plan that outlines the priorities and operations of the institution. The current Strategic Plan was adopted in May of 2015, effective until 2020.
The Canadian Martyrs’ Shrine invigorates pilgrims through the story of the Martyrs and their companions, who lived the mission of Jesus Christ.
Peace: a deeper abiding in God’s embrace
Justice: right relationship with God, with each other, and with creation
Healing: being touched by God’s compassionate care in spirit, heart and body
Prayer: praise and reverence of God; making of my daily living an offering to God
Pilgrimage: walking in simplicity and humility with God
Contemplative: discovering God who labours in all things
Solidarity: standing with others out of the « friendship in the Lord » that fosters community
Thanksgiving: recognizing with joy that God who loves me gives me all good gifts
Reconciliation: overcoming with love what hinders right relationship with God and each other
Hospitality: offering friendship to the stranger in need, as the Wendat did for the Jesuits
Leadership: greater service of God and neighbour expressed in action
At the Canadian Martyrs’ Shrine pilgrims of all faiths and cultures will be renewed in faith, hope and love, and inspired to continue the mission of this sacred place where saints walked.
Board of Trustees
Martyrs' Shrine is governed by a Board of Trustees composed of both religious clergy, and members of the general public. Each member is appointed by the Board of Trustees based on their qualifications. Each member brings their unique set of talents, experience, and expertise to help guide Martyrs' Shrine in Planning, Policy, and Governance.
Brian Beal, Chair
Rev. Silvio Eljuga, Trustee
Allan Smith, Trustee
Betty Valentine, Trustee
Andy Ott, Vice-Chair
Suzanne Beatty, Trustee
Rev. Vernon Boyd, SJ, Trustee
Sherry Chapman, Trustee
Rev. John O'Brian, SJ, Trustee
Rev. Michael Knox, SJ, DPhil (Oxon), Director
Rosella Kinoshameg, Trustee
Sue St. Amant, Trustee
Angela Kruger, Chief of Staff & Recording Secretary
- Solar panel system, a 10-kilowatt solar panel system installed on the roof of the first Rectory
- Upgraded lighting, which involved replacing more than 400 inefficient incandescent and halogen lights, including the large outdoor floodlights, with high-efficiency LED lighting – this project alone has achieved an energy savings of around 30 percent
- Converted the electric furnace in the Filion Centre into a gas heating system
- Replaced electric cooling equipment with two new energy-efficient air conditioning units
- Integrated two electric golf carts in place of additional gas carts
- Increased the accessibility of recycling bins throughout the grounds
- Planted 12 new spruce trees in the lower fields, restoring damage caused by the 2010 tornado which destroyed over 50 of our trees
- Forest Management Project, supporting the health of the forest surrounding our manicured grounds
These changes ensure that our operations are more environmentally sustainable and better support the mission and values of the Martyrs’ Shrine. We are thankful to the Knights of Columbus, Hardship Acres, and other benefactors of the Martyrs’ Shrine for their donations in support of these greening projects.
Know that our greening initiatives are still on-going. We look forward to tackling the following greening projects in the near future:
- Energy-efficient heating
- Window and insulation upgrades
- Additional recycling bins throughout the grounds